This qualification reflects the role of skilled operators who use a range of well-developed hospitality skills. They use discretion and judgment and have a sound knowledge of industry operations.
They work with some independence and under limited supervision and may provide operational advice and support to team members.
What will I learn?
Topics covered in this course include:
- Coffee making
- Table service
- Customer service
- Hygiene principles
- Hospitality operations
- Team work skills
- Cultural diversity within hospitality
How is it delivered?
This course is available through the following options:
- Face-to-face training is offered through weekly workshops, self-paced study, vocational placement and tutorial support. (Applicable to Skilling Queenslanders for Work projects only)
- Blended learning including self-paced study using workbooks and supported with phone and email tutorial support. A range of options are available to best suit your learning style.
Units of Competency
How many units are needed for the qualification?
You must be assessed as competent in a total of 15 units of competency, 7 core units and 8 elective units to be awarded the SIT30616 Certificate III in Hospitality.
- BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others
- SITHIND002 Source and use information on the hospitality industry
- SITHIND004 Work effectively in hospitality service
- SITXCCS006 Provide service to customers
- SITXCOM002 Show social and cultural sensitivity
- SITXHRM001 Coach others in job skills
- SITXWHS001 Participate in safe work practices
Electives (other units may be chosen dependent on delivery stream)
- SITHACS001 Clean premises and equipment
- SITHXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXFSA002 Participate in safe food handling practices
- BSBSUS201 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- SITHFAB005 Prepare and serve espresso coffee
- SITXINV001 Receive and store stock
- SITXFIN001 Process financial transactions
- SITHFAB007 Serve food and beverages
As part of the course requirements, you are required to complete 36 occasions of service. This can be completed in a number of ways; within the Clubhouse environment, work placement or practical experience.
Your work placement provides the opportunity to:
- Strengthen experience of the workplace to support future performance expectations in the workforce
- Develop practical skills and apply knowledge within the workplace to strengthen and embed learned content
- Provide exposure to real workplace situations and circumstances which cannot be replicated in a learning environment
Please note that certain units have practical work placement hours that are required to be completed before the unit is deemed competent. These hours can be completed within your practicum. If you are currently working, these hours can be counted. To complete the certificate it will take approximately 1-2 years (1200-2400 hours).These timelines may differ depending on the type of funding and study arrangement.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Your history of life and work experiences as well as formal and informal training may be applied using the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process. All students are offered RPL upon enrolment or commencement of training. Documentary evidence will be required.
Participants will be provided with:
- Workbooks and Assessment Guides for each unit
- Participant Handbook and Course Guides
- Access to additional supports
Funding & Costs
This qualification is offered through:
- Certificate 3 Guarantee
- Skilling Queenslanders for Work
- Year 12 Fee Free
You can refer to the following documents for further information:
How do I enrol?
You can download the enrolment form directly from our webpage, have it emailed to you or drop in and see us.
If you are not ready to enrol but are interested, please contact us.
07 4512 6770